Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Starbucks Syndrome

I love Starbucks. When a friend introduced me to the delights of chocolate, milk, coffee and whipped cream, I fell hard. And my devotion has never wavered.  I love the drive-thrus, the running in mid-morning for a pick-me-up, and the cozy Saturday mornings reading a good book in store.

So when I needed a second job a few years ago, I did what I always advise any out-of-work person, I applied at Starbucks.  And was hired.  Excited at the chance to be part of a customer's Starbuck's experience, I eagerly donned the uniform green apron.

The job sucked.  Not fun at all.  Very little interaction with the customers and not anything close to what I imagined.  Where as a customer I savored the experience, I now rushed from one task to the other. Many nights I sat in my care before driving home and cried.  Every bone connected to my spinal cord hurt.

Plus I came to believe that Starbucks was more than a company, it was a cult. We members wore uniforms, learned a secret language (Starbucks has an acronym for everything) and studied all things coffee.  I attended training sessions in a secure room (special code and everything) with an instructor that said "okay" every 15 seconds. 

After six weeks I quit.  I still love being a customer and, because of the experience, I developed the concept of the Starbucks Syndrome.  This syndrome manifests itself when a job I think will be wonderful ends up as an epic fail.  I wish I could say working at Starbucks was my only experience with this condition but it isn't.

After law school, I earned the chance to work with one of my idols.  The first nine months were wonderful.  I loved the work we did.  I loved listening to her talk.  My other co-workers were funny and caring.  Our clients were inspirational. And then the Starbucks Syndrome kicked in and I found my main job to be watering the upstairs plants (it was a home office) with constant direction. Not anything close to what I had imagined.  I hung in for nine more months and then left with a glad heart.

Now I'm looking for my next best opportunity.  I still believe in dream jobs.  I am just a little more realistic in my dreams.

No comments: