Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lottery Logic

I play the lottery.  Just the Texas Lotto on Wednesdays and Saturdays and not every Wednesday and Saturday.  My purchase must conform to my own guiding principles.

l.  I play when I'm really struggling or really thriving.  I think about the post-win interview and think these two situations offer the best scenarios.  "Gosh, I really wasn't sure if I could make it to the end of the month and then I won the lottery!" Or "Life is wonderful.  I have a great job, family and friends so winning the lottery is like the cherry on top of the sundae!" If things are horrible, I don't play and if life is just okay, I don't play.  The interviews wouldn't be as good.

2. I play a set of numbers that I've used for years.  Obviously these are not my lucky numbers since I've never won anything with them.  If I stopped playing them and they hit, I'd feel a fool.

3. To balance out my personal set of numbers, I buy a quick pick (where the computer gives me the numbers) because I read that quick picks win more often. I usually pay for one quick pick since all it takes is one to win.  When I'm feeling really lucky, I buy a second one.

4. Going back to the interview scenario, I never say I don't know what I will do with all that money or that it wouldn't change me.  I always know how I will spend/donate/invest every cent of the jackpot.  And, while I don't think it will change my personality or my relationships, I hope it will change my lifestyle, my travel opportunities and my retirement.  Why play if there weren't going to be changes?

5. When the jackpot reaches crazy amounts ($100+ million), I don't play.  Such amounts just seem beyond the realm of dreams and I'm not willing to compete with the people who spend huge amounts of money on tickets.  Of course, I mentally work the math so I know how I would be use the money.  Just to keep in practice.

No comments: