Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Refrigerator genetics

Mr. Darnell taught my 10th grade biology class where I first became fascinated by Mendel and his peas.  And until my fruit flies died my freshman year of college, I wanted to be a genetic researcher.  After the fruit flies, I decided I didn't want a career that might be dependent on insects and spent in basement labs but I never really gave up my fascination for genetics.  I still use what I know as a diversion when I'm in class that fails to hold my attention.  I decide on a set number of couples stranded on a deserted island then figure out how many generations it would take before everyone was related to everyone else.

While I think mapping the human genome is a wonderful thing and learning the genetic roots of many diseases, I think it might be time to check out how genetics might affect more social/personal issues.  Take for example, the refrigerator.

I take a bare minimalist view to my refrigerator.  I like to be able to see everything as well as the shelves.  Everyone else in my family seem to love a full to the brim refrigerator. I approach their refrigerators with dread because I never know where something will be and how much I may have to move before I find what I wanted and there is always the risk of finding something distasteful that they have saved. (Distasteful due to my own food issues, not that they don't keep a clean refrigerator!) Now before you point out that I live alone and need only food for one person while the other refrigerators may serve families, please know that my mother keeps and my grandmother kept a full refrigerator after being widowed.

So is there a genetic connection that makes hunting in a refrigerator abhorrent to me?  A recessive gene that found its place within my being.  Is it connected to the gene that makes me feel no redeeming virtue in cleaning my house?  When my mother, daughter, aunt, and cousin all exclaim how good it makes them feel when their house is clean, all I can think of is how much time was wasted.  Just as there are genetic combinations that lead to blue eyes instead of brown, maybe there is also a genetic combination that leads to reading instead of cleaning.  Just as I can't roll my tongue or whistle, I could blame my needing a clear view inside my refrigerator to the recessive genes of my parents.

No comments: