Thursday, April 9, 2009

Random thoughts

Yesterday was hard. Today is too.

For years I've kept a list of things that are hard for mothers to do. Stuff like having children in the hospital and sending them to kindergarten were early entries. Then my brother died so I added having a child die to the list. Then my children became drivers and I have very strong opinions about riding in the car with someone you birthed. That was added to the list. Then watching kids find their way and make poor decisions and trying not to say something found their way to the list.

Now I have a new item. Watching your child grieve over the death of her boyfriend and the father of her child. This is hard. I know that as much help and support I and others can give my daughter, she still must walk this path alone with God's help. Her grief is hers.

Right now I'm remembering passages from Anne Lamott's books. "Right, left. Breathe" is one that helps. Then another about hoping a child can find grace in the midst of hardship. I pray that my daughter can find this.

No comments: