Sunday, March 29, 2009

First Day of Law School

I'm still working on my two papers. Or reworking them. I'm determined to have them finished by Tuesday.

Friday another 3E and I served as chief justices for the 1L's preparation for their moot court. Helping these first years reminded me of my first year and how it was both exhilarating and stressful most of the time.

I should have known it was going to be that way by my first day of classes.

Orientation came two days before the start of class. Free meals and encouragement made those two evenings pleasurable. Then classes started. I left work early to make sure I had plenty of time to make it to class. I had my books, laptop, new highlighters and post-it flags. Before entering the class, I stopped at the restroom. Now this building was pretty old and the bathroom definitely showed its age. I really didn't think too much about as I entered one of the stalls, closed and clicked the door lock, and did what I needed to do. After I finished, I moved the door lever to the open position but it did not move. I was stuck in the stall!

I kept moving that little lever back and forth while pulling on the stall door. The door refused to budge. I was locked in the stall. I kept at it but to no avail. I had my new suit on so crawling under the door was going to be my last option. Plus how would that look to someone coming in.
The sweats started. I dug through my purse for something to use as a tool.

There is a reason I carry a Swiss Army knife. I pulled it out and used the larger blade to slip the bar all the way to the open position. Success! Now free and thankful that no one had entered the restroom during my struggle, I headed off to class. It could only be uphill after that start.

No comments: