Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Liberal 90

Two weeks ago in my therapy group, I mentioned how upset I was with Ryan's stance on women issues as well as the general arch-conservative positions.  After venting, I realized that I had been upset over the way women seem to be the target of the tea party since Spring.

I am a liberal on just about everything except parenting.  I believe in pro-choice and think men should just shut up about what a woman can do with her body. But then I think everyone should just shut up about what a woman can do to her body.  If you don't want to have an abortion, then don't have one.  If you don't believe in birth control, don't use it.  Leave the rest of us alone. 

Abortion is legal in this country and the rules/laws that make it increasingly harder to obtain one holds women hostage to their bodies. I don't believe women choose to have an abortion lightly and the government should not make a difficult situation even more difficult. And I don't even want to start on my feelings about the attack on Planned Parenthood.

Women issues aside, I'm also liberal about religion, gay rights, education, health care, immigration, welfare and just about any other social program.  One reason I have such trouble with the very conservative agenda is that I find them so exclusive in their world view while I believe that this country was founded on ideas of inclusiveness. 

HBO's "Newsroom" ended its season with a list of what the tea party stands for and characterized the party as the American Taliban.  It is worth a watch.

No comments: