Thursday, September 6, 2012

Conservative Tenth

Ten percent.  That is how much of me is conservative.  And that ten percent revolves around one topic - child rearing.  I believe children should all have set bedtimes, even teenagers.  I believe children should eat what is prepared for them at meal time. I believe no child under the age of 18 should have a television or computer in her own room. I believe in chores for every child. I believe that starting children in organized activities at 3 or 4 is for the parent's enjoyment and shortens the time that children will have free unscheduled time in their lives.  I don't believe in dropping children off at a mall or the movies. And I believe that if I pay for tickets to anything, my children will sit with me.  I don't believe in running to the store at the last minute for something someone might need for a homework assignment that he decided to do at the last minute. 

As I type this, I'm well aware that the world is changing so fast and the above paragraph dates me.  Children now have smart phones and smart tablets and have them at a younger and younger age. I still believe that many of the problems kids can face with technology and/or the world will be lessen if things are done in the presence of parents.

And that is about all that is conservative in me.

No comments: