Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reader'sDigest Mind

I grew up reading Reader's Digest. My parents subscribed. Both sets of grandparents subscribed. It was everywhere.

And it affected my mind. Besides developing my vocabulary and sense of humor, it caused me to be a plan-maker. Like in the event of a catastrophe plan-maker. Every issue contained a story about a horrific event where someone ordinary became a hero. I believed that if the horrific event could happen to one person, it could happen to me or my family and I needed to be prepared to be the hero(ine). I really can't remember a time when I wasn't worried about something horrible happening. Not that I constantly and only worried about "bad stuff" but I did think about things.

I still make plans. My kids laugh at me because I almost always have a plan A and, at least, a plan B. Without much effort I can develop Plan C.

About a year ago, I finally stopped worrying about scary stuff. The mental light bulb came on and I realized that I have been married, divorced, raised three children with all the joys and heartaches associated with that, found jobs, ended a career, started a new career, lost a brother and a father, started law school, suffered a psychic break, and survived a terrible car accident. I finally felt confident that I had enough experience "dealing" that I could handle whatever life threw at me. Or if I couldn't, I had enough people in my life who could and would help me. A 50-year weight fell off my shoulders.

I still make plans. Wouldn't want my talent to go to waste!

No comments: