Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Impressed & Distressed

Since the end of May (and until July 9th), I've had a second job. I'm the evening administrator for Barbri's bar exam review course. On an average night, there are 20-25 regulars. Occasionally we will have an influx of day students who want either to repeat a lesson or listen to one so they can skip a weekend.

With one year left and not being an auditory learner, I'm not really listening to the DVD lectures. Instead I watch the students and then read fiction (yes, books with plots instead of cases). Many of my evening students impress me.

One guy is preparing for a third time to take the bar exam. Last year he missed passing by one point! He always speaks to me and shares what he has learned about the exam and grading with anyone who asks. He impresses me. I'm not sure I would try again after two failures. He exemplies the saying that something is only a failing if it stops you from moving on. I'm hoping he passes.

There is an older attorney who is trying to regain his license. An woman who was an attorney in New York until she fell in love with a Texan. She has been a stay-at-home mom for the past eleven years and now that she is divorced, she wants to pass the Texas Bar. Another young woman also moved here for love after practicing in Alabama for five years. Texas requires a longer period before offering reciprocity.

Most of my evening regulars work a full day and then come to the class. And then go home and study. It is not an easy thing they do.

While most of the day students who visit the evening session are equally studious and industrious, there have been a group who seem to think they are entitled. They leave the door to the outside open anytime they leave or enter the building. They are loud. They throw things in the trash can from a distance and, when they miss, they leave their trash on the floor. What is distressing about this is that most of these students come from my law school!

No comments: